Spiritual Exercises in Everyday Life (S.E.E.L.)
What are the Exercises?
St. Ignatius of Loyola, founder of the Society of Jesus, developed the Spiritual Exercises so that people could retreat for 30 days of prayer and silence to grow in their relationship with God and learn to listen for the voice of the Spirit in their lives.
Eventually, he also adapted these Exercises for people who could not, for various reasons, go away for 30 days. This adaptation, called the 19th Annotation, is the basis of the SEEL retreat. It invites people to experience the Exercises with the guidance of a spiritual director over a period of nine months, while continuing to live their daily lives.
Ignatian Spirituality helps people discover God working in their daily lives. It invites each to a deeper knowledge of God’s love for them and into greater freedom to follow God’s call. The gift of Ignatian Spirituality is to find ourselves more engaged in the world in a prayerful way.
For those who desire to learn more about the Spiritual Exercises or who want an introductory experience of Ignatian methods of prayer, SEEL offers additional classes.
Graces of the Retreat
Frequently Asked Questions
- women and men serious about their Christian lives, who desire to grow in their relationship with Christ
- lay persons, religious, priests, Christians from any tradition
- those who have important decisions to make about their lives
- the young who have a desire to live life at a deeper level
- the middle-aged who want to discern the next step in their lives
- seniors who seek to reflect on the path their lives have traken
- men and women who are in transition
- women and men in leadership positions
- people who are seeking space and time to be quiet and reflective
SEEL is best suited for people who wish to enter into a deeper personal relationship with Jesus through personal prayer and study of scripture.
Participants meet with their spiritual director regularly (weekly) and meet one Tuesday evening a month for a retreat with other participants.
The spiritual directors are men and women who have made the Spiritual Exercises themselves and have been prepared to walk with others in this experience. These are people who know that it is God who truly directs. The director helps the retreatant discover how to pray best, how God prays in them, and where God is leading them.
Contact Jennifer Doolittle for an application packet to be received via mail, email, or fax.