Our Parish History
The present St. Aloysius church was dedicated on October 12, 1911. It has the largest seating capacity among Catholic churches in Spokane, able to accommodate 1,100 worshipers. The church, which replaced an original wooden structure, was designed by the architectural firm of Preusse & Zittle of Spokane. An adapted Romanesque style, its many rounded arches and graceful circular features help to soften construction lines. The church, begun in 1909, took almost exactly two years to build at a cost of $176,125.
Interior features of St. Aloysius church include oak woodwork, altars and ambo of matching Italian marble and a true pipe organ with 37 ranks of keys.
St. Aloysius church is located in the historic Logan neighborhood, in close proximity to the Gonzaga University campus, and has served both town and gown well over the years. Although they are separate entities, parish and university communities interact to bring a rich diversity of cultures, interests, talents and resources to life at “St. Al’s,” drawing many into closer relationships with God through liturgy, education, spirituality and service.
The distinctive twin spires, housing the great bell Catherina, rise high above the surrounding area and are visible from vantage points throughout the city.
On occasion, the church provides a richly spiritual setting for musical programs such as the Gonzaga University Chorale’s annual Christmas Candlelight Concert, and is the chosen site for many special celebrations for families and the cultural community. Each year during March, the faithful come to St. Aloysius for the annual Novena of Grace in honor of St. Francis Xavier. A tradition in most Jesuit parishes, the nine-day Novena of Grace brings together people of all walks of life, ages and faith traditions for spiritual renewal and prayer. The church is filled for services each day. Novena details and schedule are posted in the weekly bulletin and website several weeks beforehand.
Visitors may follow a self-guided tour using the brochure available in the church narthex and near the Visitors’ Guestbook.