The Bell

A few years ago, the bell, (weighing 3000lbs, about 4ft round and dedicated in 1913) needed work to ensure safe and reliable operation.  It was removed by crane and taken to a workshop for repair.  The exterior church tower deck was also repaired and given a new floor while the bell was removed.  A new stronger foundation cradle was created and after a few months the bell returned and was craned up into the tower.  A new modern timer with remote operation was added.  In the summer of 2012 however the clapper (aka striker) had broken off and fell to the deck floor.  The pieces were sent to a long operating bell manufacturer where a new one was created in the same size and weight of the original.  Today the bell is a prominent audible and visual feature of the church and rings at least twice every day.

«Return to Preservation Projects