Our Parish History
About Our Parish
St. Aloysius Gonzaga Parish is a Roman Catholic parish with a Jesuit tradition. Thecentury-old building sits on the west edge of the Gonzaga University campus in Spokane, Washington.
Our parish is enriched with every stage in life through partnership with St. Aloysius Grade school, Gonzaga Preparatory School and Gonzaga University. St. Aloysius Parish is staffed by Jesuit priests of the USA West Province of the Society of Jesus.
Our Parish History
The present St. Aloysius church was dedicated on October 12, 1911. It has the largest seating capacity among Catholic churches in Spokane, able to accommodate 1,100 worshipers. The church, which replaced an original wooden structure, was designed by the architectural firm of Preusse & Zittle of Spokane. An adapted Romanesque style, its many rounded arches and graceful circular features help to soften construction lines. The church, begun in 1909, took almost exactly two years to build at a cost of $176,125.
Interior features of St. Aloysius church include oak woodwork, altars and ambo of matching Italian marble and a true pipe organ with 37 ranks of keys.
St. Aloysius church is located in the historic Logan neighborhood, in close proximity to the Gonzaga University campus, and has served both town and gown well over the years. Although they are separate entities, parish and university communities interact to bring a rich diversity of cultures, interests, talents and resources to life at “St. Al’s,” drawing many into closer relationships with God through liturgy, education, spirituality and service.
The distinctive twin spires, housing the great bell Catherina, rise high above the surrounding area and are visible from vantage points throughout the city.
Visitors may follow a self-guided tour using the brochure available in the church narthex and near the Visitors’ Guestbook.